Wet and Cold: Corona 300K

Sometimes the end of the story stays with you the longest. A day after the San Diego Randonneurs Corona 300K, the last few hours constitute the thickest of memories for this rider: tired, soaking wet, quite cold, and dreaming of the beach.

The day started out great in Solana Beach – 17 riders registered, although I counted 20 at the start. Temperatures were cool and the ground was wet, but folks seemed in good spirits and ready for a long day in the saddle. We were off at 6am, and up through the beach communities to Oceanside – a familiar route for me and mostly flat, providing a good warm-up.

6am start.

Then we took Interstate 5 for a section. I’d never ridden the freeway before, and I don’t think I want to unless its part of an event. It was a lot faster than going through the marine base, but less scenic and not bike friendly in the least. Especially when drivers used the inside lane to pass on the “California Autobahn.” Then it was a charge up through San Onofre.

Turning onto the 5

I-5: from San Diego to Seattle

My ride.

The first control was my standout favorite: the Bagel Shack in San Clemente. With so many controls being chain restaurants (which, admittedly, have more reliable hours and accurate clocks on their cash registers), the Bagel Shack was clearly a local favorite. I enjoyed a jalapeño bagel with crème cheese and a coffee. The other riders also seemed to enjoy the early morning fare.

The good stuff.

As we made our way up the coast, dodging cars in Laguna Beach and heading toward Newport Beach, the sun began to shine. At the Starbucks control in Newport, A big group gathered and we made our way to the Santa Ana River Trail. What followed was about 30 miles of riding without stops. It was beautiful and sublime. The rain began as we approached Corona. Part of the group turned into a Jack-in-the-Box on the other side of the street. I followed, pedaling ahead and looking behind me for traffic – but the rider in front of me didn’t turn and I grazed his wheel and went down. No harm, no foul, as it was a slow-motion silly fall – but my arm and keen would begin to hurt later in the ride as the miles wore me out.

John from LA and his shadow in Newport.

Santa Ana River Trail

Gathering clouds near Corona

In some ways, this matched a point in the ride that descends on many randonneurs – when the fun seems to fizzle and the work begins. Luckily, I was riding with John and Wayne, and we decided at the Corona control to sit down and get a real lunch. We found Jimmy’s Diner (highly recommended!) and enjoyed a BLT. We began again and I felt great. The wind was pretty intense and we broke up, as I rode on my own down Temescal Canyon Road and through to Temecula.

Temescal Canyon Rd.

What the rains had wrought. There was a huge pool up the road, and I prayed a car wouldn't splash me out of spite.

With a 90% chance of rain and thunderstorms forecast for the entire day, I should have anticipated the conditions during the last portion of the ride. It seemed as though we dodged bullet after bullet during the day, as I counted 3 relatively brief showers during daylight. I remember riding through Lake Elsinore and Murrieta, seeing a huge dark cloud hovering to my west, thinking “I can ride around it!” That turned out not to be the case, and as dusk came, I put away my camera in Temecula and tried to survive the big climbs, the dark, the wet, and the cold.

On the way out, I found some other riders. I was happy to get some company climbing and descending Old Highway 395, which was unfamiliar to me. The rain was heavy, and at one point following Dave and a couple of other riders when I noticed my taillight had shorted. Earlier on the ride, I overheard a talk about how the Planet Bike Superflash shorts because the switch is on the bottom, where water pools. Being a San Diegan, I remember hearing about this before, but taking no notice of the apparent consequences. But there I was with no taillight. I had a spare in my Zugster, but I decided to follow the other riders on the inside of this very dark and very creepy country road until I found a place to stop. At a market, I pulled off the light, flipped it, and it worked. Now I needed to take off the mount, flip it, and put it back. This took a while, as I was in the pouring rain… but no problem.

I made it to the Wendy’s in Escondido following Kelly and John. Osvaldo was there, and a collective desire to linger settled upon us, drinking coffee and talking about the day. With 15 miles to go on Del Dios Highway, I followed Kelly and John, who really pulled me along, through the rain and down to the finish.

The Ebisu was a joy to ride. After the ride, bike was filthy, as any good randonneuring bike should be. It will clean up, but I like to think of it as a tool. The Honjos came in handy! The Zugster bag kept my stuff dry, and despite getting muddy through the day (lots of road spray from un-fendered riders), it came out clean (likely thanks to the drenching I got at the end). But on that last stretch, I was cold and wet. I’ve had a lot of experience in cold weather, but this has me scratching my head for more durable wet, cold weather gear. The Ibex knickers and long sleeve Woolistic jersey were perfect. The wool gloves kept me warm until the last few hours – wool is great, but the combination of conditions over time pushed the utility to their limits.

It was a difficult day for me, but I never felt faded and no part of my body or the bike gave me trouble. Like any ride that proves memorable, it was the company, the camaraderie, and the finish that will stay with me the longest. Well, maybe the cold, wet memories too.



  1. Matthew Ruscigno

    Great report! Also that you took the time to take some good photos. At that last control it seemed that everyone had piled up and no one wanted to leave. As I told my riding partner, who was out on his first 300k, it’s a great experience to have had and you appreciate the experience, eventually. Usually when it’s over and you’re warm and dry again.

  2. franck

    I hope the Ebisu didn’t get scratch from the fall. You seemed uninjured though and that’s a good thing. 17 riders! Man that’s a small field.

    • Esteban

      Of course not! I’d sacrifice my body first!! Yea – small group – many deterred by the rain, I’m sure. Perhaps a smart bunch!

  3. Ely

    I think I saw you at the Pt. Reyes control?
    I was with my friend Chloe.
    I’m going to try my first 300k on Saturday with the SFR.
    I’ve been riding in the cold rain all week with the exact same gear as you.
    I’m wondering about long cold rain rides as well.
    In addition to the Ibex knickers, long sleeve wool, and wool gloves, I’m brining my gore-tex glove shells, pvc rain jacket, extra long sleeve wool undershirt, and long wool tights.
    Full booties help, but after 6 hours of sopping wet, my feet still get cold.
    It’s not supposed to rain, but it’ll be pretty cold out by the russian river.
    People swear by rain legs, but I have yet to try them.
    My riding partner chloe doesnt get as cold as me, but then again, I’m all skin and bones.

    • Esteban

      Yea – I remember. Russian River should be fantastic. I’d make it up there if I didn’t have work next weekend.

      I have a pair of Swrve WWR knickers that I could have taken. But I’m glad I didn’t – the Ibex work so great, and I don’t really get cold in the legs unless its below 40. I wore a smartwool t-shirt under my LS Woolistic jersey. Again – it kept me warm most of the day.

      I had a plastic jacket I picked up from Box Dog that kept rain out, but because it doesn’t breath, my wool was pushing sweat out and the jacket was keeping moisture in. No fun. I might have to get one of the Showers Pass jackets eventually.

      The covers for the gloves would be great. And I had waterproof booties over my Vittoria 1976 shoes, which kept me dry for most of the day until the last 30 or 40 miles or so that saw a *lot* of rain. Good luck!

      • David Horwitt

        Nice report, Esteban.
        This was my first real ride in the rain, and I heeded the maxim ‘you’re
        gonna get wet, the key is to stay warm’. Isn’t wool amazing stuff? I had
        a midweight smartwool sweater base layer, which was fine for this ride
        (though if it had been much colder I think I’d want something thicker,or an additional wool layer), wool socks, and thin wool gloves under my cycling gloves. Equally (if not more) important, I think, was the wool cap I put on in Temecula, before the deluge(s) began. I still can’t believe how much a warm head keeps the rest of my body comfortable (and I generally don’t tolerate cold very well).
        See you next time (probably one of the summer SDR brevets).

  4. Kevin Turinsky

    Outstanding ride report! And congratulations on completing the ride. Thanks for shooting the photos during the ride, writing it up and sharing. It’s great to see the important things going on in the world of randonneuring from the ground level.

    Damn, those un-fendered riders! 😉

    Good luck on the rest of your season.

  5. Bubba

    Nice work Esteban. Santa Ana River Trail was my main ride as a teen. My parents are still next to it in Yorba Linda, and my inlaws are at the end of the trail in Corona. I’ll need to make a point of doing that ride next year.

  6. Wayne

    Hi Esteban,
    Thanks for the ride report, and nice meeting you on the ride. We were lucky the storm held off until late in the ride. It was cold, but tolerable, and we all got a few new war stories.

  7. Jim

    Nice report Esteban!
    I’m finding myself jealous of everyone’s early season rides – just couldn’t lay in the mileage this December/January with work demands.
    Glad to hear that the tumble wasn’t bad – it’s always those little moments that trip us up. Clothing is always a tricky balance, too. I find that towards the end of the 200K, my body just doesn’t like to generate much heat. Probably a calorie intake thing for me. A little dampness can really dissipate the warmth.
    Anyway, congrats on the finish and hope to cross paths soon.

  8. Pingback: North American Handmade Bicycle Show: Can We Get Some More Cowbell? « Paleo Vélo

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s